Monday, February 4, 2013

We Need A Schedule

I keep thinking if we all have at least a loose expectation of what the day will usually bring, things will run much more smoothly.  So, my priority this morning was to type up a schedule for the kids and I to follow during the week.

HA HA HA!

This is what happened instead:

Grant wakes up crying at 7:30 (he didn't get NEAR enough sleep last night, nor did any of the rest of us!).  In an attempt to calm him down, I tell him we'll go outside and swing when Remi wakes up.

He cries until she wakes up and continues to cry until I call Mike and he calms him down.  I tell Grant if he'll help me straighten up the house and get sister ready, we'll go to the swings.  We start straightening then I change Remi's diaper and...it's  everywhere!  I immediately take her clothes/blankets to the sink to get out the stains but it's full of the dishes I blew off last night.

Meanwhile, my mom calls and says she's going to Show Low and can pick up a few things from Wal-Mart for me if I need anything. I get off the phone and go back to the dishes, then the clothes, then to start a load of Remi's laundry. The laundry was never sorted and my germ-filled scrubs from work Saturday night are sitting in the washer. Knowing I can't wash them with Remi's clothes, I  sort everything and wash some darks with my scrubs, Remi's clothes will have to go in after that.  Remi starts crying and I realize I haven't fed her yet.  I start to feed Remi as I get after Grant for resorting to using Remi's baby swing. He ignores me. I tell him if he doesn't get out of the swing, he's going to have to go sit in the room. He ignores me and starts jumping up and down on the swing.  I put Remi down and put Grant in the room. As soon as she starts eating again, I start to feel light headed and remember that neither Grant or I have eaten yet today. I try to make myself remember to grab a snack we can eat on the way to the swings. 

Remi finishes eating and Grant comes out of the room and we make our peace. I start to put his socks and shoes on him when I catch a whiff of his diaper. I promise him if he lets me change his diaper, we'll go.

My mom stops by to pick up my list and once she leaves, I realize I better put another log on the fire or we'll come back to a freezing house. While I'm doing that, the laundry buzzes and I'm finally able to switch the clothes over and put Remi's poopy ones in.

By the time we finally get out the door, I catch a glimpse of the clock and see that more than two hours have gone by since Grant was first promised we'd go outside.


We get to the swings and they're soaking wet, from last night's snow. 
POOR LITTLE GRANT!  
You can't tell from the picture but they're pretty wet!

I noticed he was excited to see the chickens when we walked by so I asked if he'd want to go see them instead.  He agrees and we spent a little time at the coop and collected the eggs.
























 On the plus side, today we got fresh eggs for breakfast! 
 

I'm glad that we still went outside and attempted to go to the swings, as inconvenient as it rapidly became. I'm also glad I was able to be somewhat reliable for Grant.  It may have taken all morning, but I'm hoping he sees that I will try my best to come through for him.

Lessons Learned:

1. A good (or bad) day will most likely start the night before.  I should've done the dishes, gotten the laundry ready, made a plan for breakfast, got everyone to bed at a decent hour, etc. last night.
2. Usually, by the time I get frustrated, Grant already is. If his needs are addressed, we both can usually get it together pretty quickly.
3. Putting the kids to sleep or getting them food is priority!
4. I need to work on not making excuses for not doing something when it can realistically easily be done (ex. we can't go outside, it's cold...well bundle the kids up and go!).
6. Sometimes, some things that seem pressing (like saving Remi's clothes from stains or washing my scrubs) need to wait in order to save the feelings of the people you love and let them know that they are really your priority.
7. We really need a schedule!

1 comment:

Mariah said...

Oh Ashley! I love it, and you are doing great! Madeline is 8 months old, and we've finally got the eating/sleeping schedules down, but I'm not very good at adding in activities/playtime like I should. I'm so proud of you for making it outside. I'm constantly using the cold as my excuse to not take the girls out as much, but really...jackets are HARD! I'm hoping your post has inspired me enough to get us outside tomorrow!...even if it's just to the backyard! Haha.