Friday, February 8, 2013

A New Start

Well, I've had a month to decide and incorporate my New Year's Resolutions!  I thought sharing them and following up with subsequent posts about them would help me stay motivated.

I figured out several things that I think are key to making and achieving goals.  This may be common sense to most people, and I've heard a lot of these tips before, but after actually putting them into practice, it's really made a difference for me!

Although it's all still a work in progress, I have learned that  for me, baby steps and an organized plan is KEY!

So, here are my goals and plans for 2013 (in no specific order):

1. Get Organized! 
 Maintain a clean house, have productive days and a structured lifestyle.
Plan:  
*Keep a daily planner.-I've already started doing this and can't believe how much it helps!  I don't feel like my brain is 50 different places all day anymore.  If something pops in my head, I write it down and make a plan to accomplish it.

*Finish reading the books pictured above and incorporate their suggestions.--I've already finished two and incorporating their suggestions and have been very happy with the results. I'm reading one more right now because I didn't like too many of the ideas in the last one.

*Write down 3 realistic goals to accomplish daily, if they don't get done, write them down for the next day.-This is where the baby steps comes into play.  If I have three feasible goals, I will get them done that day.  If I write down my to-do list for the week, I get overwhelmed and usually never get it done!


2. Increase Spirituality and Learning

Plan:
*Attend all three meetings of church every Sunday, with no exceptions other than illness.--I got really lax on my church attendance last year since I usually worked Saturday nights.  I'm not giving myself that excuse this year! (Plus I'm not working near as much so that should help! :))  

This goal also needs a sub-plan, which is to prepare for Sundays on Saturday nights. Set out clothes for the kids and I. Plan a quick, on-the-go breakfast.  Make sure we all get enough sleep and wake up in enough time to get ready.

*Hold Family Home Evening every Monday.--Even if it ends up just being a discussion or telling Grant a scripture story.  The LDS Tools app is awesome for creating quick lessons!  I plan to go through the whole FHE Lesson Manual.

*Attend the temple quarterly.--You would think four times in a year wouldn't be hard to do but we could prove otherwise, BABY STEPS!  I've planned NOW which days to go.  Move it to a day that works if it falls through.  


3. Put More Effort Into Appearance 
I used to think this was a shallow/selfish venture but I'm realizing how important it is and how much I want it to matter somewhat to my kids. I want my family (especially Remi) to see me feel good about myself and confident, and I want them to feel that way about themselves too. I don't want them to have a mom who avoids people and activities because she doesn't feel good about herself, or have Mike come home to a wife who never changed out of her pajamas!

  
Plan:
*Healthily reach my goal weight--I used the MyFitness Pal app last year and have learned that I can't lose weight without it!  I've also joined the weight loss competition I did through Alpha Oxy Med last year to keep me motivated.  I'm weighing and measuring every Sunday.  I also started using MyDietitian.com this week and it has been a HUGE help in my weight loss!  I can't believe the changes I've already seen in just one week! (There is a fee to use MyDietitian but I won a free trial through the weight loss competition.  I spoke with the person who runs the competition and he said he'd still be willing to let people join so let me know SOON if you're interested and I'll send you his info.  I've already won some really cool stuff and quite a bit of money last year, plus, I'm losing weight...win, win, win!  Seriously, let me know if you want to sign up, you won't be sorry!!)

*Get everyone dressed every day--lay out clothes the night before.


*Reward myself at the end of the weight loss challenge and as I hit milestones.  For this one, I want to hire someone to teach me about style, make-up, hair, etc. (If anyone has any suggestions of good people to help me with this-or even a good book, let me know!)

4. Increase Quality Time with Each Family Member
My little family brings me more joy than I ever imagined I could feel!  Sometimes I get distracted with other things but I want to always show each of them that they are my number one priority!

Plan:
 *Have a date night with Mike at least once a month.  Get a baby-sitter or put the kids to bed early. Just like the temple, if we plan it now, it's more likely to happen!

*Do at least one activity a day with Grant that is fun and creates learning opportunities.

*Look for opportunities to have one-on-one time with Remi at least once a day. Do at least one a day.

*Put away distractions when my family is available for attention.--This is a big one.  I feel like I have so much that needs to be done/remembered that can be done with my iPod/internet but I know I've missed out on little things with each of my family members because it can also be a huge distraction and it's not worth it!!

1 comment:

Kari said...

Awesome Ashley! These look extremely similar to mine... great minds think alike:) It really does make such a big difference to just sit down 5 minutes each night before bed and set goals/to-do list for the next day. I also have started doing weekly planning on Sundays to plan out what activity I will do with Rivers each day so that it actually happens. Like you said, organization and baby steps are key