Saturday, May 30, 2009

Relationship Status Update

I don't know how people feel about posting personal stuff, and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet either, but when I think about posting this it only feels like it would be uplifting and maybe a little inspiring.
Ash and I got married over three years ago and we had no idea of the immediate problems or trials that we were about to encounter. To keep from getting too deep into it I'll just call it a sickness. We very quickly realized that something was wrong and we didn't know what it was or how to fix it. We tried everything we knew to try. We tried working on each others needs, we tried changing ourselves. We tried changing the scenario by moving to new places, closer to friends, away from friends, closer to family, or away from everyone. We sought professional help, spiritual help and help from family and friends. We even tried to ignore it, and in spite of all the efforts we made, with time, things seemed to get worse and worse for us. Eventually we felt the only thing we had left to try was a separation.
I am confused about how I feel about divorce. I know it's somewhat taboo in the Mormon Realm. And by that I just mean hard for people to accept that it might be the answer, or they don't know what to say about it all together. I personally have been humbled on the subject. I can no longer hear of a divorce and just believe they didn't work hard enough, or they were just too selfish, or that anyone is immune to it.
Ash and I got all the way to the point of hopelessness, which is a rough place to be. But even in that state we tried to keep doing what we believed to be right. We were separated for over nine months and had accepted that despite our honest and hardest efforts, it wasn't going to work. Luckily we were able to remain friends and keep a good opinion of each other. We just had a couple more things to do before we felt we could say we had done everything within our power to save our marriage.
Then all at once, everything started to come together. Ideas came to us that actually started to make differences. Within a short time we not only felt like we should try living together again but that it was going to work out. We are back together now and it's amazing to me.
Happiness in marriage feels like a gift to me now. I've always believed you have to work at it, but I don't know why our efforts are working so well now when we had worked so hard to no avail before. The main thing I know is that I'm extremely happy and hopeful, and I know Ashley is too. We both feel so blessed and like we are being given answers to our prayers. I hope everyone can find this happiness in their marriage. And when trials come our way, I hope we can all find a way to persevere over them in one way or another.

10 comments:

Colton said...

Wow, I had no idea. Shows what a great friend I am. This is really uplifting, though. Its nice to know that, even though the future may still be uncertain, people can work through really difficult things.

The title of this post made me think of this short:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrlSkU0TFLs

I hope that a little humor right now doesn't make me an insensitive prick. Oh well.

Seth & Erin Finch said...

You guys are awesome, I hope everything continues where you can work it out together and find the answers. It is never easy, but it is worth it.

Paul said...

Yowzaa, good to hear things are working out and hope that trend continues...

Mike when I come up with another movie idea I'll be sure to pass it your way

Dorlene said...

I know a little of what you are feeling and expressing and I can only say that I have both of you in my thoughts and prayers. When times are tough, you are truly never alone and if it's to be, it will all work out. The future although uncertain at best is a one day at a time thing. Love ya.

Tammy said...

You made me cry. Surprise, I know. What you think and how you feel individually is all that matters because it is your life and you only get one chance. Don't waste it. Life is a true gift.
Tam

Brian and Mel said...

Hey Mike and Ash,

We love you guys and are glad to be part of your family.

ashley kelepolo said...

I am so happy for you guys!!! I have really noticed lately that you guys are HAPPY! and I love it! To me you guys are good for eachother you just didn't know it at first! Anyway, I have no idea what you have been thru but I can tell that you guys are hopeful now and I am glad for you. We think about you often and hope that all is going well. Let us know if there is anything we can do. We all have trials and sometimes it seems impossible to be happy in them so congradulations for that!

Bonnie said...

I have been wondering how you both were doing for quite awhile now. I am sorry for all your sorrows and am so so so glad that things sound like they are going a lot better for you. Trials are not fun to go through and I think we all know that from our own. I admire you both a whole lot for what you have gone through and the effort you have put into trying to make things work out even though is seemed hopeless at times. I love you lots. -Bonnie

Amanda said...

You both are such great people. If you work hard for something you'll get it. Marriage is awesome but hard too. I'm glad things are going good and I hope they continue too. :)

Brooke and Brian said...

Mike I know you wrote this but I don't know you as well as I know Ashley but I am so glad things worked out. I really wish I saw her more or lived closer to her. Both of you I guess so we could all hang out. I don't hang out with anyone but family which is ok becuase I am so close to all of them but I do miss my friends and wish we could be close and do more. It is hard with a baby too, but so worth it. I can't imagine not having her. Anyway, I am so glad you guys are doing well. I talked to her the other day and she said she is so happy and things are so, so, soooo good. So, yay! =)