Monday, February 22, 2016

Today

Today was a good day! I'm frustrated with myself for getting behind on my pictures again! Mostly because Sawyer deleted them all last month!! 

So I guess I should take the opportunity to start over, starting today (even though I do actually have some pictures from earlier in the month to post...but later, this is about today!). 

Today was a good day! I tried to get back on some sort of schedule, and with some flexibility, it went great!

I wanted to be up by 7, but didn't drag myself up til 8. Everyone had a rough night so I still got some time to myself to get laundry done and things straightened up and in some kind of order before the rest of the house was awake. My schedule:
*Check calendar/To-Do List/Menu
*Start laundry
*Get dressed and ready to shoes 
*Eat breakfast and read/Daily Learning
*Kids routines
 
Here's what the kids routine looked like:
*Make bed
*Help with breakfast/clean up
*Brush teeth and get dressed
*Go for walk/play outside
*Help mom with project area
*School
*Snack
*Quiet time
*Individual play time



I think a few key things made it successful.  One was making the kids eat breakfast all together. Usually I make them each a separate breakfast as they each wake up. I got frustrated feeling like I was making meals all. Day. Long. 
When the first kid woke up, I'd let them do an activity until the rest of them woke up and we all ate together and cleaned up together. 
The next was getting outside as soon as we were dressed. It made it feel like we were getting ready for something and getting dressed had a purpose. It also helped to get our blood pumping after we ate and not just lay around and get too tired to do anything the rest of the day. 

I know all days may not go as well as today, but I wanted to document it to remind myself of what seemed to work!

When Mike got home, we took the kids to DQ because they'd done so well! 


(Saw kept waving as the cars left the Drive-Thru and saying "bah-bah caow!" ("Bye-bye car"))

Grant and Remi stayed outside playing so well together most of the rest of the day. Grant came in and did his schoolwork when he was asked and watched the clock for when it was quiet time. I really think kids (and adults) thrive on a schedule, when they know what to expect. Now if I could just make it last more than a day...

No comments: