Thursday, February 19, 2015

We've Been Sick

So I feel like the title pretty well sums up the past few months for us!

When I think about what we've been doing since the new year...it kinda feels like that's pretty much it!

Really, when I think about it though, January was just a blur! I didn't make any New Year's Resolutions and it seemed to go by busier than any other month. I picked up a shift every week last month and it actually went pretty well. The kids like the daycare more (AKA their "school") since they moved and now there's "a real playground with slides", in Grant's words.

Sawyer had been on this spell since Christmas where he wouldn't sleep for more than 2 hours at a time! Just when I was bordering between declaring myself clinically insane and/or just accepting the fact that I would have to learn to run and function off two hour increments and get used to people constantly commenting on how tired I looked (thanks a lot!), he seems like he's finally getting back into a normal rhythmn (knock on wood!!).

So in reality, it's just been ALL of February that we've been sick. Grant turned up with pink eye at the end of January and slowly each of the kids went through red, diachargy, swollen shut eyes. It was sad to see them waking up in the morning. They'd sit there with their eyes stuck shut for hours, feeling their way around and groaning like little zombies.

Remi got pretty good at eating with her eyes closed. Mike's been bringing home the Star Wars movies and we've been going through the whole series since Grant's birthday. Grant liked them, but Remi's the one who surprised us by becoming the die hard Star Wars fan! Every morning, she'd sit on the couch with her eyes stuck shut and say, "I want pancakes and Sta-ee Wa-ees".


One morning, Grant staggered out of his room with his eyes stuck shut and very matter of factly told me that he was never going to be able to open his eyes again. It was like he'd accepted it and wanted to be able to help me accept it too. I reassured him that his eyes wouldn't be like that forever, but it was like it didn't matter to him to hear it because he'd already coped with it.

A few days later, he came out of his room with clear eyes and exclaimed, "Mommy, you were right! I can see again! But..WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY VOICE?! IS IT GOING TO BE LIKE THIS FOREVER?!?!"

Apparently a congested/nasally sounding voice is a much more traumatizing notion than the thought that he might never see again!

Anyway, that day started the fevers, earaches, coughs and congestion that we're still trying to ward off now. Every time one of us starts to get better, someone else comes down with something new. And as much as sleep looks like no place I'd rather be, it's pretty much out of the question with the coughs and inability to breathe (now that Saw's finally sleeping well...go figure!).

Our awesome friend/neighbor Sam took the kids for several hours on her day off so I could get some much needed rest! She painted Remi's nails and when Mike got home and asked Remi what she'd done that day, she said, "Nails. Sam. Eat chicken."


The days have given us some BEAUTIFUL weather though, and as crummy as we feel, we can't seem to resist going out to enjoy it a little. I love when the weather's nice! I'm realizing that it really affects my mood and drive to get things done.


Anyway, that about sums up the last few months...it looks like quarterly, novel-ish posts are my new style.

1 comment:

Colton said...

I like the quarterly posts the most. Especially when they are just about what is going on at the moment in a person's life, instead of every single thing that has happened in the last six months. Those are exhausting to read; I can't imagine what they are like to write.

I feel sad that you guys are such petri dishes. I think that just comes with the territory when you have multiple kids (not that I know anything about it, but I at least had siblings).

Hang in there! Spring is less than a month away!